Team Project Proposal
Team 6: Rachel Ogg, David Champlin
Presumed interaction issues based on needs(i.e., performance, attitude, behavior, etc.) and/or
objectives that will be addressed by this project
- Project Name and Description
Anticipated target users
- Navigation redesign to include more relevant links and better hierarchy for actual users (based on Google analytics results)
- More visible and consistent breadcrumbs needed to enhance visibility of system status
- Restructuring of the Comments form
- Better presentation of social media options
- Minimalist and efficient layout design
Standards: Are there any applicable standards that have a high priority for this technology tool?
- Parents of Students
- Prospective Students
- Faculty & Staff
- Donors / Economic developers
- Media / The press
Identify similar tools that can provide lessons for your project. Ideally there might be other
toolsthat meet similar objectives, but you may have to settle for lessons through analogy.
Challenges: Identify issues you anticipate to meet the goals
- The site will follow Qualifications set forth in Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
Web-based Intranet and Internet Information and Applications: assures accessibility to web content, e.g., text description for any visuals such that users of with a disability or users that need assistive technology such as screen readers and refreshable Braille displays, can access the content
- Copyright notification credit to the University of Missouri System - Board of Curators for the current year. This must be at the footer of each page.
- The seal of the University of Missouri System must be present on each page.
- Each page must clearly have in high contrast “University of Missouri System”
Experts: Identify who you may need to consult with or related experts
Resources: Identify readings, articles, websitesthat may be helpful for shaping your thinking
and ideas related to the project
- I think the volume of information we have to work with is going to be the primary challenge
- Political: challenges from different departments not getting top billing on the website homepage. Perhaps remarks from other university officials could be a cause for concern. But it really shouldn’t be a concern due that the redesign will hopefully fix issues with webpages hierarchically deep within the site.
- Convey the message that University of Missouri is a champion for higher education. This is a request made by the president of UM System.
Identify novel or creative aspects of the project idea
- Tuts+ (more specifically the article entitled 7 Crucial Tips for Designing and Maintaining a Large Site **really good information that we might want to consider)
- Digital Telepathy blog (more specifically the article entitled 14 Beautiful Content-Heavy Websites for Inspiration **really good websites that we could use when addressing #5 above)
- Allen, Jesmond, and James Chudley. Smashing UX Design: Foundations for Designing Online User Experiences. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons, 2012. Print. Chapter 2
- "Smashing Magazine." The Messy Art Of UX Sketching. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2013. Link
Redesigning the graphics and updating the feel of the site could fulfill the creative side of the project. In its current iteration the website is functional enough to get through and find information. Because of extensive data-gathering from Google analytics some features can be redesigned to accommodate visitors of the site. This is a website that encompasses four universities, continuing education outreach system (MU extension) and the healthcare arm for University a Missouri. What is needed to be considered for this redesign is the inclusion of all of the entities that make up UM System have a place within this website. When going through this site an external audience user, a parent or student, should be able to determine that UM System is comprised of four universities. A University of Missouri staff member should be able to go to this site to look up any information that pertains to their job.